Records Management is the systematic control of all records from their creation or receipt, through their processing, distribution, organization, safe-keeping and retrieval to their ultimate disposition. Because information is such an important resource to organization, the records management function also contains information management. As a result, records management is also known as Records and Information Management or SIDE (Magnus, 2006).
Records management may also be used to define as the way official records (correspondence files, information) are prepared in such a way that they have a meaning, and can be used consistently by the users such as professionals, records professionals, educational organizations, Alex Jenkins
Need for Records Management in Gov departments
Establishing a records management programme, in government agencies for illustration, the Meteorological Department may bring about both immediate and long-term importance to the department. Below are explained a few of the value of documents management in the federal government agencies, civil service, companies and businesses as a whole:
– Records management reduces lost or dropped records. For the reason that human aspect is always around, even the best system on the globe will occasionally have misplaced records. But properly designed document management systems can little by little reduce misfiles. Most often misfiled information can cost the paperwork staff a huge wastage of your energy in searching for records;
– Records management become evidence in the time of dispute. That is important for the settlement of dispute as it can be shown as proof in court;
– It helps in assessing progress of organization. This helps in the storage of history of the organization. The past information shows direction to business. It will help in finding out the weaknesses and power of organization. Records management gives the account of progress and direction by which organization is giving on;
– Records management is the memory of business. It is useful for future making decisions process. The study of previous records shows direction for future. It supplies information to organization whenever it should be used therefore, it helps in taking decision;
– Records management helps to evaluate business progress and performance. It helps in comparison between one time frame and another or between sometime of companies;
– Records management can be useful for management and control of important records. It helps to protect necessary records with care and disposes ineffective records;
– To reduce litigation risks. Organization put into action records management programmes as a way to reduce the hazards associated with litigation and potential penalties. This can be equally true in government agencies. A persistence applied records management plan can reduce the financial obligations associated with document convenience by providing for thorough, routine disposal in a normal course of business;
– It increases responsibility. A records management will applied a system for tracking actions on each record, therefore increasing liability and providing access studies; and
– To enhance working environment. Implementing records management programme boosts the working environment through the firm of records and storage area offsite. Organized working environment can then increase the notion of the business by clients and potential employees. New employees are also easily trained to deal with the company’s records when an efficient records management programme is in place (Jackson, 2008).